Having a new baby is the moment life really starts.
As soon as you have a baby, you are no longer a person. You’re a parent. Your life will get a whole new meaning. You will fill yourself with happiness, joy, love and harmony. You will feel fulfilled, motivated and much, much stronger.
Preparing Your Akita Inu For Your New Baby
In this article, we will teach you how to safely introduce your Akita Inu to your new baby. Luckily for you, you chose a dog breed who is protective and loving toward babies and children.
The preparation must begins before you bring your new baby home. The earlier you start preparing your Akita Inu for your new baby’s arrival, the easier and safer the introduction will be.
We can’t express how important it is!
Bring Your New Baby Furniture as Early as Possible
By doing so, you bring new smells, feeling and different vibes to your home. And in that case, slowly adjusting your Akita Inu for the big change.
Get Your Akita Inu to Feel Comfortable to Baby Sounds and Smells
Until now, your dog was probably living in a quite, ordinary house. No crying, no shouting and no baby diapers. This is all going to change really soon, however. In order to ease the impact, you should do the following:
- From time to time, play baby sounds near your dog. Make sure you start with a low volume and slowly increase it when the dog feel comfortable. Make it a fun experience for the dog! Praise him, give him treats and show him love while playing the baby sounds.
- While your wife and baby are in the hospital, bring home something your baby was wearing at the hospital. As a result, your dog will get to know the baby smell and learn to like it. Just as the last step, make sure you praise him when he is calm to make it a fun experience.
Manners Training is a Game Changer
If your Akita Inu jumps at you when you come home or leash pulling you during walks, now is the perfect time to fix that. Babies are soft and fragile. The last thing you want is your dog to jump at your baby because of excitement. Make sure you look at our Training section for guidance.
Deal with any sign of aggression beforehand.
The Akita Inu can be a dangerous dog. Make sure you hire a professional dog trainer to deal with any aggression problem before the baby arrives.
The First Meeting Moment – Love At First Fight
“There’s no second chance for a first impression”, I always say… Therefore, you want to make the first meeting go smoothly. I can’t find the right words to express how important it is.
When you bring your new baby home for the first time, this is what you have to do:
- Bring an assistant to carry the baby for you
- Let your dog greet you and the rest of the family before introducing him to the baby
- Make sure you wait until the dog is calm before the introduction.
- When you make the introduction, make sure you hold your Akita Inu on a leash. Just to stay on the safe side.
In any event, do not keep your Akita Inu and baby alone together.
No matter how cute and fragile your dog is. We recommend you not to keep him with a child younger than 12 years old alone at any time.
Akitainu.com wish you a wonderful journey with your new baby. Your life starts now.